Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Craft Room

Well, today was another rough day. I had a therapy appt. and it did not go good. I balled the whole time. Sometimes I don't think that I am strong enough to be a step-mom. All of the loneliness and frustration is sometimes too much to bear. I can understand why so many 2nd marriages fail. If you don't go in with the proper information, you will be blindsided. And I don't mean just once--it's all the time. I don't have any children of my own, so it seems like it is my husband and his kids--and then there's me. Anyway, it was not a good day.


So, I decided to retreat to my craft room. This is a before picture. I forgot to take one, so I had to go with what was already in the computer. The umbrella is gone, I moved the book/magazine rack, I moved the white dresser, and I moved my fibers and beads. I also cleaned this small area of the floor. Small steps right?












Next I did this small area of ribbon. It is the seasonal stuff, along with sports, dog, Hello Kitty, and Sponge Bob. With the ribbon set up this way, I don't have to look through the containers. Except for the dog stuff and ribbon with words on it, and speciality ribbon--those are still in the containers. Oh and so is the Halloween and Thanksgiving (I forgot).






..
..
..
..

Well, my step-daughter has asked me to play a game with her--and since I need to strengthen the relationships that I have with the kids-- I will play with her. But, it comes at a cost. It is now 7:52PM, so that means I will miss swimming again. I really need my me time today, but for now, I guess family comes first.
I hope you had a great day. I will talk to you tomorrow. Until then...
This is me. This is my blog.

16 comments:

  1. did you ever think about making your swimming time first thing in the morning, that way if it gets bumped, there is the whole day to get it in. Craft room is really shaping up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The craft room does look neater. In time the children will get closer to you. They are in school during the day time when you have your appts and organizing your things--so you are getting some things accomplished while they're in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, you're right. I do try to do it in the morning, but my appts. are getting in the way.
    Monica, thanks for the compliment. And I am getting more things accomplished because of this blog. It has really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The craft room does look really great. You have motivated me to organize my jewelry supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. How do you organize your jewelry supplies? Do you make your own jewelry or do you sell for a company?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make my own and I have a website. My desk gets very messy when I am making jewelry. Sometimes, when I am tired, I start just tossing things in the wrong boxes just to get them "out of sight" only to leave more for me to do later : (

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure. There isn't much on there right now. I am behind : ( I don't always feel well enough to make things so it goes to the back burner....It is www.angelawalkerjewelry.com
    I wanted to ask you since you know a lot about crafts... Have you ever made the Martha Stewart tissue paper pom poms? I picked up some at Marshall's last fall on clearance and my daughter and I are "trying" to make them to hang in the kitchen for Valentine's Day.. I have made two so far and had to finish them while they were hanging from the ceiling to get the pom pom look....A pain in the butt. If there is a secret to making them... I am not getting it. Any suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS. Do you know where I can find craft paper color tissue paper?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked in my Martha Stewart Encyclopedia of Crafts book, and I found paper flower pom-poms and puffs. The paper used is regular tissue paper that you would put in a gift bag. You can find different colors at Target, The Dollar Tree, etc.
    Here are the step-by-step instructions from her book:
    1.stack tissue paper (8-20x30in sheets for each large pom-pom OR 4- 10x5in pieces for a smaller puff
    2.accordion-fold the paper (1 1/2in wide folds for large pom-pom OR 3/8in fold for puff
    3.fold an 18in piece of cloth-covered floral wire in half, and slip it over the center of the folded tissue
    4.twist
    5.with scissors, trim the ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes (for flowers)
    6.separate layers of tissue paper, pulling them away from the center -- one at a time
    7.For a pom-pom, tie a length of monofilament to floral wire for hanging OR for a napkin ring puff, bend the wire into a loop to fit around a rolled napkin, and twist the ends around the loop to secure.
    Let me know how it turns out. If you want, I can post a picture in my blog.
    Thanks for sharing your website. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have two that I've made but they looked more like "tissue/Kleenex flowers that you put on a wedding car : ( LOL!
    Thanks for the help. I will try your instructions on the others. Any idea where to get the brown tissue paper? I want to use it in my jewelry packaging.
    PS. The paper you organized today looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My best guess would be Target. They used to have colors in separate packaging, so you would only buy the color you need. I say try there. Or maybe call first.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Deborah! I will check Target. I was looking back at your photos of your craft room. I bet you could get rid of some of the stuff by having a "Clearing My Clutter" party! Sort of like when people have an open house at Christmas time to sell their crafts. It could be something you could work on for a couple of months (you would be clearing your clutter at the same time) and then host the party. Since you like to organize, here is an example: you could group some of your paper, tie in up in pretty ribbon and sell it. You could "group" some of your other stuff up that way too... It could be a goal you set for yourself. I am sure people would come too!!! You would be keeping the stuff you want, getting rid of some things, and making a little extra money while you are at it! Just a thought : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome thought. I love it. I do love to make things look pretty, and I love hosting a party. Thanks Angela. I am really going to try to do it, and it will be just in time for spring (nicer weather).

    ReplyDelete