Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Pile Behind Door #1

So, this is what I have chosen to tackle today. But, before we get into that, let's talk about my day- just for a bit. I went to therapy. Well, can you blame them, a person on this many meds needs to be monitored. Anyway, I am usually down whenever I leave therapy. That's when I reach for chocolate, ice cream, a nap, or shopping. Any of these little treats can usually change my mood- even if it's only for a little while. Today, I chose shopping. I am trying to watch what I eat, so I chose shopping. The bad thing about shopping is that I am bringing more things into the house. So, now I have to put that away, before I start on this pile.

As you can imagine, everything has not made it into a box. I still have several piles of what-nots. So, this is what I usually do. I sit down in a nice clean area. I bring the pile into this area and sit down. I start sorting thru the stuff - in this case: some memorialbia, stickers, magazine articles, information from the computer, an address book of the kids', magazines, a purse that I need to cut up for scrapbooking supplies, a lid from a tote, and so on. I sort and sort until I have mini piles all around me. This is where I begin to get stuck. I know where to put some of the stuff, but the other stuff- what do I do with it. I usually just leave it in a pile, but then that gets out of control. So, it all goes in a box.

You see one of my problems is that my brain keeps going. Information is constantly buzzing thru my head--it really doesn't slow down. That's one of the reasons for the prescription sleeping pill(s). Only -- they don't work on me very well. I get about 2 hours of sleep and then I am up. I am up, but I am not very productive. When the morning comes, I am so graugy. My friend came over to pick some stuff up, and she just laughed.

Anyway, back to the pile. I am going to try to tackle it, but if you have any suggestions - believe me- I am open to them. If you want me to put my favorite color on and color code my piles ----- I will. Remember this is the beginning and I need to start some sort of system - that is user friendly.

Now my family - well some members- can go into a room and finish it before I could find a pair of matching socks. That's incredible to me. I wish I was born with that gene. Unfortunately, I was born with the "distracted" gene. My husband sometimes says, "Look, something shiny". Then, he points in a direction. Before I can decipher what he said and how he is making fun of me, I have already turned my head and started to look.

One thing that uses my "distraction" gene effectivly is BLACK FRIDAY. It has become a tradition for my family to go. This year it was me, my brother, his wife, and her 2 brothers. We went to Best Buy this year (same as all the years prior). Whenever we run into the store- my distraction gene is in full effect. I am looking here, and there ----oh look there are some DS games I wanted***PC games-yep I just ran into them *** MP3's ***cases***CD's --it's a real frenzy.But by the time I get out, I have everything I wanted and then some. Some people may get frustrated, but not me. I'm right at home- treasures around every corner--not knowing what you are going to find or for that matter - where anything is. Total chaos - my brain is at peace. Constanly thinking -- looking -- moving.But then I hit a wall. Yes, I had been in the store 5minutes & that's when it happened. Total overload. Just kidding.What really tired me out was waiting in line for 2 hours to checkout. My brain wasn't able to see the next big thing. But wait--wait a minute--here comes a Best Buy lady. She was coming down the line that curved around the computer area--around the back wall where all the blank DVDs and CDs were--down thru the TVs and PC games to the point that I was at. She asked if she could get anyone anything. I said - YES - YES - YES (thinking - SHINY - SHINY - SHINY). I would like 10 - 4g memory cards and 10-USBs --the ones for $9.99 (What a deal). So, she got them for me--I was so happy. I get up to the register and the lady said ONLY 3 memory cards and ONLY 3 USBs. Crazy - huh. So, I reduced my happiness to 3 and checked out.

Crap, there I go again. OK - back on task. If you have any words of wisdom concerning this lovely pile of stuff behind DOOR #1, please comment. I'd love to hear from you. If not-- if you are looking for advise - believe me - I'm doing the best I can. Small piles - I say ----Small piles.

This is me. This is my blog.

2 comments:

  1. you need not to micro organize at this point. Lable 5 or more laundry baskets with the rooms of your home on it ie: Kitchen, Bedroom, Den, Laundry room, Office, Craft Room, car, garage, DONATE, TRASH...(ok for you you are going to have about 10. Then go through a box and macro sort where the items final resting place should be...When you are done with several boxes or a basket is full..take it to that room. Then one day just sort what is in that basket and everything should be well within your reach of getting it to the proper location and it should save on the mess with micro sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.As you can see by my next post, I have already micro sorted this pile. What do you suggest? Do I put the papers back in a pile, if they go to the same room. And,do I go out and buy 10 laundry baskets or do I use a box instead?

    ReplyDelete