Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Bare Essentials


So, I went through my closet and collected this basket full of bras, underwear, and socks. I sorted everything, then I matched the socks. I was wondering where all of my socks had gone. Well, I have found them--in fact, I now have 2 drawers full of socks. I fear I may need to down size. I kept thinking that all of my socks had some how made it to the bag of unmatched socks. But when I looked in there, I couldn't find a match. Hence -- my dilemma. Since I couldn't find my socks, I kept buying new ones. Oh --those darn socks.


I did go to my appointment today, I left at 9:15 and I didn't return until around 5pm. What a day. My husband was proud of me for driving myself to my appointment. He had mentioned that a year ago I would not have been able to do it.


I feel good about my task for today, since I did not have much time. I did not make it to the gym. My dog ran out of food, so I am making her some rice.


A friend called a couple weeks ago and we are going to go on vacation. Me and "the 3 sisters". It is always a riot going on vacation with them. And it will give me a goal. I am going to try to go down 1 pant size by our trip in May. I can do it. I just need to keep telling myself that. Laying off the pop and donuts would help too.


As I was going through my closet (looking for the essentials), I came across so many clothes. So many clothes that I felt weighed down. It will feel good to get rid of some of these clothes, but I know that it will be a struggle. I received a great comment: I need to try on the clothes and ask myself--1)Do they fit? and 2)Do they look nice? That was a great comment because I tend to buy the cotton shirts that feel nice, but they hug every roll. I hate those shirts. I mean --I love them and I hate them. Whenever I can't stand looking at myself anymore (in those shirts), I usually end up using them for sleeping.

And that's another struggle. Sleepwear. I live in a household with step-kids (full-time), and I don't feel comfortable roaming around in just those shirts (I don't mean just those shirts--I also have pajama bottoms on--silly). I usually end up putting a sweatshirt on --- then I start sweating. The youngest once commented on why I wear sweatshirts all the time. --What could I say? I'm sure they can see me sweating. So, I say --what I always say when faced with a difficult question--I like them. That satisfied the little one, so I patted her on her bottom, and she went up to bed. ha ha

I would like to believe that I live in a fairy tale, and someone with a giant lollipop will ask me if I want Mary Poppins to come over and get my place Spit-Spot. I would say --yes--yes. But, that is not my world. I have to make my own place Spit-Spot. The bubble has burst.

Tomorrow, I will continue on my closet. What will I chose to do --- probably try on some clothes--yuck. But, it has to be done. Does anyone else have a suggestion? I could just take everything out and donate it to the Salvation Army. And then go buy all new clothes that fit my "X" figure. Really it is an 18, but I have been unfortunate to see the likes of 1x and 2x. That is not fun-- NOT FUN FOR ANYONE. Anyway, that looks like the way it's going to breakdown. Me trying on clothes---I better have extra med on hand. ha ha
I will talk to you tomorrow. Until then...
This is me. This is my blog.

9 comments:

  1. For an idea I hang my clothes together in outfits things that go together - then in order darkest to lightest - a bit OCD I know - but it is easier for me to get rid of something if I don't have anything to wear with it - good luck

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good comment. Do you have any tricks for clothes that don't fit you? Do you keep one size down, or do you get rid of everything that doesn't fit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a few things in my closet that don't fit right now - but I hope to be able to wear soon - any thing that was way small/big I do get rid off

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another idea on how to arrange your clothes: Put all short sleeve tops together, all long sleeve tops together, skirts together, pants together, jackets together, dresses together, coats together. Then if you really want to organize in detail: within each category of clothing put together each color together (whites with whites/beiges, etc). This way you can see at a glance if you have too much of or not enough of one color in that category. If there's a pattern with lots of color, then I separate it by the predominant color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once upon a time, my socks' mates were disappearing, and lo and behold! They were found hiding amongst all the other undergarments. So those socks too now rest in 2 drawers. Sorted by cool weather socks and by warm weather socks--I have that many of them. The other undergarments also have their own drawer because those also kept disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monica. I already use your technique of grouping short sleeve/long sleeve etc. and then grouping in color. I just have to go through and see what fits and what doesn't. Isn't it funny how many socks we have, once we find them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sock sorting is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness you're back. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete